Monday, December 24, 2007

World War II Christmas Poem

How old is Santa Claus, and where does he keep? And why does he come when I am asleep?
His hair is so white from the pictures I know, that he must stay out all the time in the snow.
And if he does that, why don't he catch cold? For I know he is all of 21 years old.
I'd just like to see him stand on his head and climb down the chimney like grandmother said.
And if he does that, why don't he get black? And if he comes head first, how does he get back?
Grandma knows all about him, but she won't tell me.
I begged her and teased her but still she won't. I'll find out Christmas Eve, you see if I don't.


John Dudek, 85, of Hempfield can recite it from memory. This is the Christmas poem his Army buddy told him.
His eyes twinkle as he recites the poem. It takes him back to December 1944, when he was 22 years old and his infantry company had taken shelter in an abandoned building.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/cityregion/s_544257.html

No comments: